Sunday, August 28, 2011

On Judging Books by Covers

I will freely admit to judging books by their covers.  Gasp!
Of course I don't exclusively make my reading choices on aesthetics, but they do certainly help!  First impressions make a big impact!  This was probably the reason it took me so long to finally read The Thornbirds.  It has a hideous cover.  But thanks to a persuasive cousin, I finally did! 
So, my last post on the home library got me to pondering, what makes a great cover?  I don't really have a good answer to that, it's kind of a mixed bag, so I'll show you a sprinkling of what I like to see on my biblio-covers!



(all of the above were designed by the amazing Coralie Bickford-Smith, who pretty much has the Midas touch as far as beautiful and interesting book design goes)




Anyway, for a bibliophile like myself, a trip to the bookstore isn't simply a utilitarian task - it almost takes on the reverence of a museum visit.

Happy reading, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment