Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Fashion Flimed

Recently I've been on a bit of a fashion documentary kick, starting with the fascinating film, Bill Cunningham New York.  It follows New York Times fashion photographer Bill Cunningham through his history and routine photographing the street styles and social lives of women in New York City. 



He's has such a delightful attitude towards life and style, he's really an incredibly eccentric and lovable subject for documentary - I thoroughly enjoyed this peek into his process and life.

I especially liked the bit about one of his regular subjects, former U.N. official from Nepal, Shail Upadhya - who has the most insane collections of printed suits EVER.  Such an unexpected character!


Next I was on to Vidal Sassoon: The Movie.  Vidal rocked the world with his innovative creations in 60s London that at once were inspired by and fueled the incredible fashion of that time.

I loved learning more about his artistic path and overall genius, and it reminded me once again just how much I am personally in great need of a haircut!  Come on over, Vidal - I'm free tomorrow.


Then I was onto the wonderful and heartbreaking, L'Amour Fou - documenting Yves Saint Laurent and his 50-year relationship (and the subsequent art collection amassed there from) with Pierre Bergé who was absolutely the epitome of "the man behind the man".  I have read about the life and times of Yves in the brilliant book, The Beautiful Fall and have always been mesmerized by his life of excesses and his tortured creativity. 


This film showed the life of Yves through Pierre's eyes and even though they absolutely had their ups and downs, I found myself looking into one of the truly great partnerships of the 20th century. 



Then of course after all that I just had to go back and watch one of my favorites, The September Issue, because apparently I just haven't seen it enough.

On a related note, next Friday, October 28th The Texas Theatre in Dallas will host the regional premier of DRESSED, a new documentary about self-taught designer, Nary Manivong, who overcame childhood homelessness to miraculously show his collection at NYFW.  There will be a special Q&A with Manivong himself as well as Ally Hilfiger (yes, the designer's daughter) and the film's director and executive producer.  I encourage all you Dallas-ites to attend, it looks to be a great opportunity!  Click HERE for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment